Hi, I'm Sarah: mom, wife, and the owner-educator behind Belle Vie Birth & Baby. I have always valued education, which led me down my first career path as a French teacher in 2009. Belle vie stems from the French phrase for beautiful life. My goal is to support your parenting journey before, during, and after this new little life changes yours.
In between the uninformed birth of my daughter in 2014 and the empowering birth of my son in 2017, I realized that there had to be a better way to give birth. For me, educative support through comprehensive, evidence-based prenatal classes was the missing key to helping families to make informed, confident choices preparing for their baby. Being a lifelong learner, I took my experience as a teacher in a new direction. I first trained and later certified as a birth doula (DONA), then trained and certified as a childbirth educator (Lamaze) and infant massage instructor. I want you to feel confident that the education you receive comes from a place of both passion and practice. You can learn more about me here.
Every societal shift starts with one seed being planted and nurtured. It may seem small and insignificant now, but I hope to see a rebirth of perinatal care and the birthing culture in Cape Breton. Families need more support, more education, and more value placed on their needs and wishes. Their experience needs to be protected and respected. This is especially true of marginalized communities, including BIPOC, LQBTQ+, and those facing socio-economic disparity. I'm here to provide ALL Cape Breton families with equitable and accessible informational and emotional support—through pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and parenthood.
here while you grow
Services & Support
For birth with confidence.
It’s not about getting the ideal birth experience you dream about, because birth is only predictable in its unpredictability. Prenatal education is about growing your confidence so you can face any birth experience and see the positive. You will learn everything from pregnancy to postpartum, coping skills and comfort measures, to how to make informed, empowered decisions along the way!
For unconditional support.
A birth doula provides informational, physical, and emotional support before, during, and after your baby’s birth. Doulas ensure you are unconditionally supported in every decision you (and your partner) face, and help you find your voice. Whether you get the birth you hope for or some curveballs alter the course, a doula will be there to make your personal journey is as safe, supported, and positive as possible.
For better bonding.
The benefits of infant massage go beyond your baby! If you are looking to make postpartum connections with other parents and to bond with your baby through nurturing touch, infant massage is for you. You will learn about massage's many benefits, practice and build routines that can relieve baby’s discomforts, learn to read baby’s cues, and so much more. Make infant massage a part of your days!
"Why do I need
"Why do I need a
"Why does my baby need
“Let choice whisper in your ear
and love murmur in your heart.
Here comes life.”
- Island Chiropractic & Family WellnessOct 04, 6:30 p.m. – Nov 22, 8:00 p.m.Island Chiropractic & Family WellnessThe ability to give birth is innate, but doing so with confidence doesn’t always come easy. This comprehensive 8-week group childbirth education series helps you navigate the vast sea of information in an safe, small group setting. Your best birth is an empowered birth, however that looks for you.
- Southend Community CentreOct 16, 11:00 a.m. – Nov 06, 12:30 p.m.Southend Community Centre, 1464 George Street, SydneyFeel supported in bonding with your baby by learning infant massage! Classes are unique way for parents to create special at-home routines through nurturing touch. Learn the many benefits, practice the strokes, read baby’s cues, and make meaningful postpartum connections with local families.
- St. John AmbulanceNov 19, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.St. John Ambulance, 201 Churchill Dr, Membertou, NS B1S 2N9, CanadaGet a strong foundation in infant and child first aid so you can feel confident in an emergency situation. You will learn how to respond with CPR, AED, to choking, medical emergencies (fevers/seizures), minor injuries (wounds/burns), and poisons. Ideal for any parent, caregiver, or grandparent!
- Zoom + course platformAllow ~6 weeks to completeZoom + course platformThe ability to give birth is innate, but doing so with confidence doesn’t always come easy. This comprehensive, private childbirth education course helps you navigate the vast sea of information in an open and safe space—online! Your best birth is an empowered birth, however that looks for you.
- Course platformAllow ~6 weeks to completeCourse platformThe ability to give birth is innate, but doing so with confidence doesn’t always come easy. This comprehensive, private childbirth education course helps you navigate the vast sea of information in an open and safe space—online! Your best birth is an empowered birth, however that looks for you.